So, If you’re new to Blogging then you might have came across this topic many times WordPress.com vs WordPress.org.
Many newbie bloggers gets confused between these two terms while starting a blog and as a result they often end up choosing the wrong one for them.
Today. we’ll discuss all the details, features, pros. and cons. of both WordPress.com and WordPress.org. and also which one is better for you.
What is WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
WordPress.org is a CMS tool which is used to power Blogs and Websites (like this blog).
WordPress.com is a Blogging Platform where you can start a blog for free.
Difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
The major difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org is the level of Customizability and Freedom WordPress.org offers over the other.
- With WordPress.org you get full control over your website or blog, you get to design your blog with different themes according to your needs. Different themes offers different features and some themes are more responsive than the other. You can also upload and install your custom themes.
- In WordPress.com you are limited to a number of themes and can not upload custom themes unless you upgrade to paid version. In addition, some famous themes and frameworks are only available for WordPress.org.
- WordPress.org gives you access to various paid and free plugins. Many plugins like Yoast SEO can help you in optimizing your content for better search engine ranking and traffic. You can also use security plugins like Wordfence and Sucuri to secure your website.
- WordPress.com free version doesn’t offers Plugin support.
- Hosting and Domain:
- In WordPress.org you have to buy a Hosting plan separately. You can choose a cheap hosting or a high end hosting service according to your needs.
- In WordPress.com you don’t need to buy a hosting as WordPress.com handles it for you. However, it is preferred to use high end hosting like Kinsta and Cloudways for better performance but you can only use them with WordPress.org
- You can get started with a self hosted WordPress.org blog for as low as 2.75$/month by using Bluehost. Bluehost is currently the most affordable hosting in the market and it also gives you free domain for 1 year.
- With WordPress.com you can start a blog for free, but it’s only downside is that you’ll have to bear ads placed by WordPress on your blog (like every other free software). However, you can upgrade your plan any time to remove those ads.
- With WordPress.org you can monetize your blog in any way you want. You can use any Ad Network, Affiliates, Native Advertisements, Sponsored Ads etc. on your blog.
- With WordPress.com you are only limited to WordAds, unless you upgrade to Business Plan. You also can not self-manage ad networks.
- Ease of use:
- WordPress.com offers really easy setup process for your new blog. You just have to create an account and WordPress handles the rest everything itself.
- WordPress.org installation is also pretty easy nowadays, many hosting providers offers on-click WordPress installation support and it becomes more easy if you choose a Managed WordPress hosting plan.
Now, Finally comes the most important Question:
Which one you should choose?
Choosing between WordPress.com and WordPress.org totally depends on What you want to do with your blog?
If you’re just an occasional blogger who is starting a Blog as a hobby, then WordPress.com should be enough for your needs.
But, If you are serious about blogging or want to make a career in it, then WordPress.org is what you need, go for it without a second thought. WordPress.org is widely used by many famous blogs and websites due to it’s high customizability and freedom.
So, I hope that after reading this article you have already figured out which one is the right choice for you. Tell me in the comments, which one you think is better.
For any Queries, feel free to ask.
And also check out this article on How to start a blog with WordPress in 2020.
See You in the next Post.